Saturday, October 25, 2008

Liverpool prepare to face Chelsea

I said I would write again on Saturday, and here we are at 37 minutes past midnight and I am writing my second blog post on Saturday. All the focus in the Liverpool world is the impending match with Chelsea.

Chelsea are a weird club. We have probably played them more than any other club in Europe since 2005. I know we've played them in 3 Champions League Semi-Finals in the last four years (being victorious twice!). But they've got a very good record at home, and we'll be traveling to their stadium hoping to carry on our unbeaten run. Both teams are undefeated and Chelsea haven't lost at home for 86 matches or something ridiculous like that. I hope it's a good game.

I know it will probably be a dull game with both teams playing really defensive football because neither team will want to lose. And if I'm honest, if I were to expect one team to try to take the game to the other, it would probably be them (being that they are the home team). But this is a pretty good time to play them in terms of how injuries and suspensions have effected their squad. They've got Didier Drogba, Michael Essien, and Joe Cole definitely out - those are huge players for them. We've got our own injury problems with Skrtel definitely out for a few months, Torres not being likely to play, and Keane, Gerrard, and Alonso all carrying what Rafa Benitez describes as "minor knocks." I really wish Torres could play though, that would be great.

I really hope that we can win this one. Chelsea are major title contenders and we're level with them on points (although they have a higher goal difference). Winning away at Chelsea wouldn't just mean ending their insane home undefeated stretch - but it would send out a serious message to the rest of the league. We want to win the league and I think this is the closest we've come to actually challenging in a long time. It's a long season, obviously, but I'm not old enough to remember the last time Liverpool won the league and it's something that I'm desperately looking to see.

I've got a busy week ahead of me with take home midterms, regular midterms, and various other activities. I hope that Sunday will kick start a productive week with a Liverpool win!

No comments: