Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Reds go top, prepare to host Portsmouth




Stamford Bridge was Chelsea Football Club's impenetrable fortress. 86 games they went unbeaten, coming close to loosing a few times, but always managing to hold on and preserve their record. It was a feat that broke British records. But all of that came to an end on Sunday when Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso's strike deflected into Petr Cech's goal.

The match was a battle between two clubs deadlocked on points at the top of the table. Chelsea had (and still have) the greater goal difference and had been absolutely smashing teams on their way to the top. Liverpool, on the other hand, had proven themselves to be comeback kings on multiple occasions in the season already. With the 1-0 win, Liverpool are 3 points clear of Chelsea at the top of the table.

I actually didn't get to watch the game because on Saturday I traveled to LA to visit my friend, see the sights, and go to Monster Massive. So I woke up too late on Sunday to actually see it (it was a fair trade though, because I had an awesome weekend). But beating Chelsea, ending their unbeaten home record, and going top of the league was a really great way to cap what was an amazing weekend for me.

Being on top of the league is fantastic, but it can be shortlived. Today there is a match against Portsmouth and that could bring our reign at the top to an end. We'll be up against Jermaine Defoe, who has been in great form all season, and Peter Crouch - the 6'8'' former Liverpool player with an incredibly hot girlfriend. Both of those players will be a test for our backline.

I think Fernando Torres is still injured, but if he can play I want to see him come back. If not, I hope Robbie Keane can start scoring in the league. Keane's a good player, but he's not scoring enough for the price we paid for him. I hope he comes good soon.

Until next time, my friends!

No comments: