Sunday, November 2, 2008

Liverpool lose, I get disappointed

As far as Liverpool goes, this was not a good weekend. We're no longer on top of the league (although, we're level with Chelsea on points). The warning signs were there on Wednesday, we were all over Portsmouth but struggled to score and won a penalty off of a handball from one of their defenders. I can't remember which one. Then Steven Gerrard MBE scored the penalty.

Saturday morning, was similar. We scored an early goal through Dirk Kuyt (who was fantastic, if anyone was wondering), but we couldn't get a second goal to kill off Tottenham. They got lucky and managed to score off a Jamie Carragher own goal, and after that they were back in the game. The game suddenly opened up and both sides were creating chances, and in the last minute of normal time, they managed to score thanks to a late strike by Pavlyuchenko.

It was a bitter loss, one that I felt like we didn't deserve. Although, I think that when you don't put your chances away and the other team does, you totally deserve to. So we did deserve to lose. But it's very frustrating, especially considering that we've signed Robbie Keane for a ridiculous amount of money (around $40 million, if you convert the currency) from the very side who have beaten us - and he simply is not delivering. He's given us three assists and 2 goals in 18 appearances. Now don't get me wrong, I think Robbie Keane is a very good player and I was delighted we'd signed him and I'd always wanted him at the club, but we need someone else to provide goals for us. Throughout my life as a Liverpool fan we've won the league once - the year I was born, so I don't remember it. Since then, we've always had to rely on certain players to bail us out - Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, Torres. Not since Roy Evans left us as a coach have we had a dominant attack and I think that really hurts our title chances.

I can't wait until Fernando Torres is back. Once he's back fully fit and firing goals in maybe there will be less pressure on Keane and he'll be able to score more. And then everyone else will be able to score too (hopefully...)!

Well, here's hoping we can put a few goals away against Atletico Madrid midweek. Until next time, chums!

No comments: